Background Image Alternative Text: Fall Leaves and Back Path by the Union and YMCA Building on MSU Campus
- Ride on the right in the same direction of traffic.
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping.
- Wear a hard-shell helmet when you ride.
- Be alert. Watch for car doors opening and cars pulling out.
- Avoid riding on sidewalks unless the roads are unsafe.
- Stop at intersections. Follow the same rules as vehicles, stopping at red lights and stop signs.
- Be visible. Wear bright colored clothing and use lights at night.
- Conduct an ABC Check: Check there’s enough AIR in the tires, the BRAKES work properly, and your CHAIN is oiled and on securely.
- Understand the various bike facility types and rules.
- Follow Traffic Laws & University Bicycle Rules:
- Cyclists should use extreme caution and slow down or walk their bicycles when interacting with pedestrians.
- Do not ride on sidewalks or pedestrian-only areas.
- Bicycles using campus roadways operate with the same rules as automobiles.
- Bike rack use on campus is mandatory.
- Bikes locked or left anywhere else besides a bike rack are subject to the lock being cut and the bike being impounded by University Police.
*Parking and Transit Services offers free bike registration for your personal bicycle.
- Always follow traffic laws.
- Watch for pedestrians and give them the right-of-way.
- Expect pedestrian traffic to increase between classes.
- Expect vehicle traffic to increase during class changes and at the beginning and end of the business day.
- Use caution when driving through parking lots. Pedestrians may appear from behind cars.
- Do not get in a rush. Give yourself plenty of time when driving on campus.
- Pay attention. Put away your phone and other distractions when driving.
- Use marked crosswalks to cross streets.
- Stop at the curb, look both directions, and make sure traffic is clear or has stopped before crossing.
- During rainy weather allow extra time and distance for a vehicle to stop.
- Wear bright-colored clothes so vehicles can see you at night or during rainy weather.
- Avoid distractions, such as checking your phone or wearing headphones when walking near traffic.
Facility Type Definitions